How Do You Check That Your Backups Actually Work?

Unison

Well-known member
VIP
It’s easy to see a backup job report “completed”, but that doesn’t prove the files can be restored. I’ve been thinking more about checking backups properly, especially system configurations and files that change often.

Do you test by restoring a few files, checking logs, comparing checksums, or doing a full restore occasionally? What’s your routine?
 
I am same as Ferret I do a full disk Clone. when I first did them on these systems I actually swapped drives to check they booted OK.
On one of my systems I left the cloned drive in and saved the original.
 
That’s a good way to check a clone. Swapping the drives and actually booting from it proves a lot more than just seeing “clone completed” on the screen. Keeping the original drive safely stored away gives you a known-good fallback too.
 
Back
Top